Robbie Lawler, a renowned name in the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) universe, retired in a memorable style at UFC 290. The MMA veteran, known for his aggressive fighting style, ended his final bout in a grand fashion, knocking out Niko Price in just 38 seconds.
As Lawler set foot into the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, an air of nostalgia swept through the crowd. The audience gifted him with a roaring welcome as he walked down the aisle one last time, playing the theme song of “Last of the Mohicans” in the background.
While stepping onto the apron before entering the cage, Lawler took a moment to appreciate the atmosphere. He turned around slowly, absorbing the energy of the crowd, and acknowledging his fans.
The bout itself was a quick affair. Lawler and Price locked in a clinch, with Lawler landing a few uppercuts and an overhand. The final blow saw Price collapsing onto the canvas, unconscious. Lawler walked off, leaving the audience in a state of exhilaration.
Post the fight, a special video highlight of Lawler’s illustrious career was played, with the MMA legend himself watching it from inside the cage. This was a break from the usual UFC protocol, a special tribute befitting a special fighter.
As Lawler watched his 22-year-long journey condensed into a four-minute video, he couldn’t hold back his emotions. The crowd reciprocated the sentiment, erupting into the loudest cheers of the night.
Lawler retires as one of the greatest welterweights in UFC history. A champion who successfully defended his title twice, Lawler participated in numerous memorable fights across various MMA platforms, such as UFC, Strikeforce, Elite XC, and IFL.
His fight against Rory MacDonald at UFC 189 in 2015 was inducted into the Fight Wing of the UFC Hall of Fame. Other notable bouts include his knockout victory over Nick Diaz, his title-winning performance against then-champion Johny Hendricks at UFC 181 in 2014, and his slugfest with Carlos Condit at UFC 195 in 2016.
Lawler’s career boasts wins over fighters like Donald Cerrone, Matt Brown, Josh Koscheck, Matt Lindland, Melvin Manhoef, Frank Trigg, Murilo Rua, Chris Lytle, and Tiki Ghosn, among others.
UFC 290: The Results
For more details on the entire UFC 290 card, check out the UFC 290 event hub.
Robbie Lawler’s final bout might have been a brief one, but it was an encapsulation of his entire career – intense, thrilling, and unforgettable. Just like the man himself.
- David Weiss indicted Hunter BidenHunter Biden, son of President Joe Biden, has been indicted on three separate felony firearm … Read more
- The Tragic Maui Wildfire: Death Toll Rises to 93The Hawaiian island of Maui has been struck by a devastating wildfire that has left … Read more
- The Impeachment Proceedings Against President Joe BidenOn a consequential Friday, the United States political scene was jolted by an unexpected development. … Read more
- David Weiss Appointed as Special Counsel in Hunter Biden InvestigationU.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced the appointment of David Weiss as special counsel in … Read more
- Biden’s $6 Billion Deal: A Deep Dive into the Iran-US Prisoner ExchangeThe recent news of a significant agreement between the United States and Iran has stirred … Read more